Thursday 20 September 2012

London Design Festival

It is London Design Festival at the moment so I took at day yesterday to go up to London and have a look round. I started off on the Southbank before stopping off to see a (almost) finished job on the Embankment.

I then had a wander through Covent Garden to seek out the Mal 1956. It is clearly influenced by a certain lounger. This 'version' is for outdoor use made entirely out of plastic with holes to drain rain water. I do wonder how they have got away with mind you and what Vitra have to say about it?



I got the dates wrong for Design Junction and turned up a day early so hopped on the tube and went over to the V & A only to discover Prism was tickets only and all sold out. I did however have a wander through the Architecture gallery.



A model of one of my favourite modernist buildings, the Isokon flats in Hampstead designed by Wells Coates.



The Schröder House designed by Gerrit Rietveld and built in the mid twenties. A house that is free from walls but instead zoned using colour and temporary partitions that made the house adaptable and progressive.



The first Gatwick passenger terminal in the 1930's. If only it still looked like that. The building still stands however and is in use as a business centre.



I finished the day at 100% design. Much better than it has been in recent years. Seemed like more creativity was thrown at it and the layout was more organised with various 'hubs' and meeting places. I didn't see any new products that particularly got me excited to be honest but always worth a visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment